SC - Question - Recipes for the low budget

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Fri Sep 11 15:33:33 PDT 1998

The thing is, many of these recipes can be cooked in small quantities. I've
just been going through Milham's Platina, and reading such recipes as VI
46, entitled "Ham"

"Stick a knife into the middle of a ham (which is called "from the foot."
as pleases Varro) and smell it. If it smells good, the ham will be good; if
bad, it should be thrown away. Cook a good ham in white wine or vinegar.
Some say as much water should be added, especially Glaucus who does not
drink wine; they are certainly wrong. It is more pleasant cooked in wine
alone, or vinegar, and it lasts longer. Ham should not be over-cooked, nor
should it be taken from its juice except when it has cooled."

This one could be easily tried with a slice of ham in a frying pan, or a
whole fresh ham, imo.

Another would be VII 34, "Dish Made From Meat" which could use leftover
boiled beef, if you happened to have some, or you could boil up some
hamburger.

"Cut up boiled lean meat finely, and when it has been cut up, cook it again
in rich broth for half an hour, first adding bread crust, a bit of pepper,
and a little saffron. When it has cooled a little, add beaten eggs, ground
cheese, parsley, marjoram, and finely chopped mint with a bit of verjuice.
Put these in the same pot, mixed and stirred at the same time, stirring
slowly with a spoon so they do not stick together. The same can be even
done with livers and lungs."

As others have said, many of the chicken dishes can be made cheaply also.
Adamantius was telling me about one he has where the chicken is boiled in
orange juice- the oranges they used in period were more sour than ours
today, so they added sweet fruits to them, and he thinks that it might end
up tasting similar to what we'd get if we just used modern unsweetened
orange juice. You ever going to send me that recipe, A?

Phlip

Phlip at bright.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,