SC - sc-pears and rambling

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Sep 12 17:48:37 PDT 1998

In a message dated 9/12/98 7:57:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, uther at lcc.net
writes:

<<  What kind of apples and pears should I use to get the kind of results the
medieval
 >cook would have gotten?  Hopefully something I can find at a supermarket in
 >East Texas? >>

Apples are problematical since every individual seed produces a new variety of
apple. The best thing to use , IMO, would be an apple that has FLAVOR. Most
modern apples sold at the supermarket and specifically bred with Everyman in
mind. This means that they are  almost exclusively tasteless odorless and
without distinctive character. :-(

Avoid apples that have the word 'Delicious' in their varietal name. They are,
without a single exception,  NOT delicious and have all the characteristics
that the apple industry says Everyman desires. They are also mealy and
oftentimes bitter or coyingly sweet.

There are apple varieties that are  period, such as Pippins, but they are
rarely available on the commercial level. For great taste and complexity of
lavor I wold personally recommend Northern Spys or Granny Smiths. Northern
Spys have a flavor that is reminiscent of tangy pineapple, strawberries and
citrus. They are nicely balanced between sweet and sour and hold up there
shape during the baking process. They are crisp and juicy when raw if they
have not been stored for a lengthy period of time.

Granny Smiths are the second variety I would choose if period varieties or
Spys are unavailable. They also have some complexity in flavor although not
nearly as much as Spys ro the period varieties. They also have a nice balance
between sweet and sour, are not mealy and have a crisp texture when eaten raw
and a refreshing finish when eaten raw or cooked.

Pears, for the most part have been little disturbed by the habd of modern man.
The best cooking varieties are hard and crisp. These qualities endear them to
commercial shippers so a goo portion of the pears available in the supermarket
are varieties which were also grown in period. Look for pears that are hard
when selecting cooking pears. The name may contain terms like 'winter' or
'fall' pears. Or ask your grocer which pear is ideal for cooking.

Good luck with your project. i hope the above information has been helpful.

Ras