SC - smithfield ham moldy foods

Sun Sep 13 09:52:08 PDT 1998

> Do keep in mind that thanks to the 50s and 60s 'better living throught
> modern [anything]
> push, natural foods were looked down upon as old fashioned, and people
> were pushed into
> buying things prepackaged, sliced and chemicaled into subservience.
> Everybody wanted to be
> modern.

Hmmm, looks like you're ducking the "natural food" movement of the late 60's
where they went overboard the other direction, because they wanted to be
"healthy."  There is also the fact that people have used store bought can
goods since the mid-1800's and they are definitely pre-packaged food.

The move to be "modern" pre-dates the Depression.  In fact, a good case can
be made that the movement pre-dates World War I.  The real selling point for
the 50's and 60's was the ease of preparation, which reduced the time spent
in the kitchen.

> Despite the availability of boxed cake mixes in the depression which
> didn't get
> bought due to cost we managed to keep real foods in the groceries until
> the 50s.

Cost in the 30's, and psychology in the 40's.  The box mixes were add
liquid, stir and bake.  They didn't feel like cooking.  After Duncan Hines
changed the recipe to include adding an egg, the box mixes caught on.  IIRC,
there was a psychology study of the subject in the late 40's or early 50's.

> us poor northerners for the past 40 years being brought up to get all of
> our food in the
> prepackaged spiffy ken-and-barbiness tend to think of mold on food a bad
> thing[cheese isnt
> quite thought of as being moldy or spoiled milk...]
> margali

I can't really speak for the "poor Northerners."  I was born in Ohio, but by
the time I started cooking, I had been exposed to European cooking and
foods, had sampled most of the regional cusines of the US, and lived in
Alaska, where much of the food is shipped in from "Outside" pre-packaged.  I
would equate your "ken and barbiness" with ignorance, an undesirable and
certainly un-modern trait.

Bear