SC - Thoughts on Food

James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain alasdair.maciain at snet.net
Sun Sep 13 18:39:26 PDT 1998

At 20:39 13-9-98 -0400, Adamantius wrote:
>It seems the dish was called a Blooming Onion.... For those who may not be
up on this staple
>of nearly every steakhouse in the nation, it is a large Bermuda-type onion,
>cut partially through into wedges, soaked a bit in ice water until it
>separates into "petals" (this is commonly done with scallions in Chinese
>restaurants to make brushes for sauce), and then the whole thing is crumbed
>and deep fried, and eaten petal by petal, with a dipping sauce.

I first ran across these monsters a couple years ago, at the Outback
Steakhouse in Va Beach.  Adamantius has neglected one minor detail - about
a million calories and a kilo of fat per onion. 8(  They sure sound (and
look) good, though....

Alasdair mac Iain

Laird Alasdair mac Iain of Elderslie
Dun an Leomhain Bhig
Canton of Dragon's Aerie, Barony Beyond the Mountain
Argent, a chevron cotised azure surmounted by a sword and in chief two
mullets sable