SC - Gravlax and the thingy recipe (a bit OT)

needlwitch@msn.com needlewitch at email.msn.com
Mon Sep 14 01:35:49 PDT 1998

Just because you wander,
doesn't mean you're lost.
- -----Original Message-----
From: Craig Jones. <craig.jones at airservices.gov.au>
To: sca-cooks <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: Sunday, September 13, 1998 6:32 PM
Subject: SC - Gravlax and the thingy recipe (a bit OT)

><Snip>
>>>seaweed, Gravlax (salmon spiced and fermented for a few days),
>>>brandade, jelly fish salad, beef tendon noodle soup, sea cucumber,
>>>pork and beef dumpling soup, Alys' recipe for bull penis, mountain
>>>oysters, kimchee, <snip>
>
>Some quick questions:
>
>How do you make Gravlax?  Have any good recipes for serving it?  Is it
>period?
>
>Alys' recipe for bull penis:  Is it period and is the recipe
>available.  I'd love to serve this at a feast (if I could get my hands
>on half a dozen thingys).
>
>Cheers,
>
>Drake.

I shall endever to find my recipe for gravlax (I know it's around here
somehere, probably with Elvis and Jimmy Hoffa in the closet ;-) ) IIRC, it
is thin filets of salmon that have layers of salt and dill between them, and
are pressed under weights. The salt absorbs the moisture from the salmon and
dries it after a fashion, and the dill flavors it. I will post the recipe as
soon as I find it.

Thorbjorn the Cook