SC - More boring pig facts-OT-OOP

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Tue Sep 15 04:22:47 PDT 1998

> And does not bother to mention what percentage of calories come from fat
> today, it just goes on to say:
>
> >Is pork high in calories, as many people believe? Today's average pork
> loin
> cuts offer an average of fewer than 165 calories per three-ounce serving.
>
> Is pork high in cholesterol, as many people beleive? The American Heart
> Association recommends that Americans limit cholesterol intake to less than
> 300 milligrams daily. A three-ounce serving of roasted center loin pork
> contains only 66 milligrams of cholesterol - just 22 percent of the
> recommended maximum!<
>
> Now tell me, people, who among us eats 3 oz. of lean pork at a sitting?
> I'll do half a pound of bacon for breakfast, when I'm in the mood for both
> bacon and breakfast. I love American advertising, it's SSOOOOOOOO
> misleading!!!!!!

Okay, I've been keeping out of this one, but time to shed a little light at
least.  I'm on a ketagenic diet.  On the diet, I eat mostly meat and veggies.
Almost no bread, potatoes, starches of any sort, few sugars (even natural ones),
very little in the fruit category.  Even my veggies are limited to low carb ones
(no starchy beans and very little corn).  The trick is not so much how much fat
and cholesterol you take in, but what your body does with it once it's there,
and that is very much dependant on what you are eating besides the meat.  Look
at the way people used to eat many years ago.  There was a time of plenty when
you stuffed yourself on the fruits and veggies available and gained weight
before the cold season (according to the research in the books on this subject)
just like the animals.  The lean times when it was cold, you had as much as you
could preserve without the buggies, natural decay, or the weather destroying.
The thing that kept the best was preseved meats.  This set up a lean time where
a portion of the stored fats were used up and then put on again when more was
avialable.  Sugar was not widely available at the time either.  Our bodies
(supposedly) are set up for this type of system.  They are ill-equiped to deal
with the high sugar, carbs available always, stuff yourself with whatever
pleases you year round world we live in today.  I can safely sit at a meal and
eat that pound of bacon, or whatever meat I please that day with a half dozen
eggs (cholesterol hell, you say?) and lose 75 lb in a year, dropping my
cholesterol 60 points, and probably my triglicerides too (though I haven't
tested them, and I should have I know).  Check out the books.  I recommend Dr.
Atkin's New Diet Revolution, but Protein Power and several others are out
there.  The only thing that seperates us from our ancestors is that we can
induce this lean time for an indefinite period by supplimenting with vitamins,
which they did not have the option to do without getting ill with scurvy or some
other vitamin deficiency.  Keep two things in mind, that will answer most of
your questions in a fell swoop....1)  This is the European body style which is
set up on these lines.  Even Dr. Atkins admits that the Oriental eating style is
opposite and works well for them.  Their style is high in carbs and low in fat,
and that is what they thrive on.  The trick here is genetics changing slower
than culture.  The outpouring of sugar into everything at the end of the 1800s
beginning of the 1900s is a drop in the bucket of time.  2)  It is infinitely
easier for your body to convert it's own stored fats into energy than the animal
fats eaten by you (which must be turned into your fats before being turned into
energy).  The problem is, as long as sugars (and starches which can be converted
into sugars) are poured into your body, you will use them first by the process
of insulin.  That is the easiest way to get energy.  And, that is the easiest
way to put on stored fat for later.  In fact, your body stores 3-5 days of
easily transferred sugar stores at any given time.  The trick is to use up these
stores, don't allow them to replenish, and force your body to start up the
process of releasing ketones to break down the fat in your body.  The nice thing
is that the ketones don't break down the new stuff coming in, so it passes.  It
works on the stored fat because it is already in the right format to use.  The
body always tkes the least path of resistance.  BTW, the ketones also reduce
other fats like cholesterol in your system.  Neat, huh?

Brenna
(who is off her soapbox- sorry guys, but there is so much misinformation out
there- I hold off most of the time)