SC - Apple butter recipe

Diana Skaggs upsxdls at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Sep 15 08:30:54 PDT 1998

     Apple Butter

     Peel and core apples.  Place in a heavy non-reactive stock pot (enamel or
     stainless steel) with a small amount of water (1 cup or less).  Cook until
     soft.  If you like chunky style, mash with a potato masher.  If you want it
     smooth, run through a ricer or blender.  Measure the results and add the
     same amount of sugar as you have apple pulp.  Add a spice bag of cinnamon
     sticks and/or cloves, if you like.  Simmer over a very low fire stirring
     occasionally until thick.  I use a "flame-tamer" during the last part of
     cooking to prevent scorching.  I can these in pint jars and water bath for
     20 minutes.

I personally, will take Any and All Apple Butter recipes out there...
I've been looking for a good one for a while now...

Jeff