SC - Re: Chastletes

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Wed Sep 16 12:50:38 PDT 1998

>Recipe three (advanced):
>(Same source, #197)
>Chastletes: Take and make a foyle of gode past with a rollere of a foot
>brode, & lynger by cumpas. Make iiii coffyns of the self past vppon the
>rollere the gretnesse of the smale of thyn arme of vi ynche dep; make the
>gretust in the myddell. Fasten the foile in the mouth vpwarde, & fasten the
>other foure in euery syde. Kerue out keyntlich kyrnels above, in the
>mannere of bataillyng, and drye hem harde in an ovene other in the sunne.
>In the myddel coffyn do a fars of pork with gode poudour & ayren rawe with
>salt, & colour it with safroun; and do in another creme of almaundes, and
>helde it whyzt. In another, creme of cowe mylke with ayren; colour it red
>with saunders. Therof another maner; fars of fyges, of raysouns, of apples,
>of peeres, & hold it broun. Therof another manere; do fars as to frytours
>blaunched, and colour it with grene; put this to the ovene & bake wel, &
>serue it sorth with ew ardaunt.

Lest I be called a "Big, Lazy, Wimp", here is my version:

Chasteletes:  Take and make a foil (thin sheet) of good paste with a roller
of a foot broad, and longer by compass.  Make 4 coffins of the same paste
upon the roller the greatness of the small of thine arm of 6 inches deep;
make the greatest in the middle.  Fasten the foil in the mouth upward, and
fasten the other four on every side.  Carve out cunningly/craftily
kernels/crenellations above, in the manner of battlements, and dry them
hard in an oven or in the sun.  In the middle coffin put a filling of pork
with good powder & raw eggs with salt, & color it with saffron; and put in
another almond cream, and keep it white.  In another, cream of cow's milk
with eggs; color it red with sandalwood.  Thereof another manner; filling
of figs, of raisins, of apples, of pears, and keep it brown.  Thereof
another manner; put filling as to fritters blanched, and color it with
green; put this into the oven & bake well, & serve it forth with <i>eaue
ardant<i/>/burning water/ethyl alcohol.

>From Du Fait de Cuisine, by Chiquart, (1420, tr. by Elizabeth Cook), #5,
Speaking of gilded boars heads spitting fire:
"And to give understanding to the master cook who has the charge concerning
the said heads to make them give and cast out fire from the throat, take a
double wicked candle and wrap it all around with cotton which should be
soaked in fine ardent spirits and purified with a little camphor."

A castle with a round keep & 4 round crenellated towers (with sealed
bottoms) made of stiffest paste, baked blind & then filled as follows:
in the center a mixture of pork, beaten eggs, & spices (Note:  I'd pre-cook
& mince the pork);
in one side tower, almond cream;
in another tower, egg custard dyed red with sandalwood;
in another tower, mixed chopped fruit;
in the last tower, filling of "frytours blaunched" (is there a recipe for
this in this collection?), dyed green with mashed parsley/wheat/or barley
blades.
Bake all in a 325 degree F. oven until the custard is done, at least 40 to
45 minutes.  Serve flaming.

Note:  there is a rendition of this recipe in Pleyn Delit.  It has an
illustration, but the keep is square.

Cindy/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net