SC - Re: Duel - ew ardaunt

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Wed Sep 16 17:57:20 PDT 1998

 ew ardaunt n. spirits, aqua ardaunt, q.v. IV 197.--The idea seems to be
to serve the 'castle' flambe', as is called for in one Ar recipe, no. 139
(a rich version of 'mawmenny'), which adds at the end, 'putte thereon a
litel aqua vite and quen hit is dresset in dysshes as hit is before sayde
thenne light hit with a wax candel and serue hit forthe brennynge'.

Master A says:
>> if I remember correctly, there is a recipe for aqua vitae somewhere in
Curye On Inglysch, essentially a distillate of spiced wine. <<

"aqua ardaunt/ardente n. spitits, brandy or aqua vite  V 4, 8*, AQUA VITE
V 7, distilled spirts.  See also ew ardaunt."   from the Index and
Commentary.

>From _Goud Kokery_, #7. Aqua vite: that is to seie, water of liif.
Fille thi viol ful of lyes of strong wiyn,
& putte therto these poudris: poudir of canel, of clowes, of gyngyuer, of
notemugges, of galyngale, of quibibis, of greyn de parys, of longe peper,
of blake peper: alle these in powdir.  Careawey, cirmunteyn, comyn,
fenel, smallage, persile, sauge, myntis, ruwe, calamynte, origanum: and a
half unce or moore or lasse, as thee likith.  Pownd hem a litil, for it
will be the betir, & put hem to these poudris,  Thanne sette thi glas on
the fier, sett on the houel, & kepe it wel that the hete come not o it; &
sette thervndir a viol, & kepe the watir.

I included the whole thing, because it has a lot more stuff in it than I
thought of as 'aqua vitae'.

Regards,

Allison

allilyn at juno.com