SC - Lebkuchen recipie

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Fri Sep 18 08:02:43 PDT 1998

Hi list,

I am so far behind in reading and replying I don't know that I'll even catch
up...

Anyway, here is the lebkuchen recipie. I used it as the covers for a
subteltie I made of a book - it had 50 pages made of phyllo, glued together
at the spine with eggwhite, then with sugar, cinnamon, ground almond and
lemon zest sprinkled between each page, then I illuminated the open pages
with edible colouring and gold leaf and baked the lot.  I also used
lebkuchen as the basis for another subteltie, where I made it into shields,
baked on a curved surface, then covered in moulded marzipan and painted on
the devices. I made the straps from fruit leather and real buckles, rivetted
through the shields (I put in holes before I baked the shields). Both looked
and tasted great! It makes great castles too...

On with the recipie (this makes a LOT - about 200 or so biscuits)

DOUGH
4 eggs
400 g brown sugar
450 g white flour
450 g whole wheat flour
150 g honey
1 pkt Oetker baking powder (or 10 g bicarb and 1/4 tsp baking powder)
125 g mixed peel (ie preserved orange and lemon peel), very finely minced
125 g walnuts, ground
1 tsp each cinnamon, cloves, cardamom
grated rind of 1/2 lemon

Mix the eggs, sugar and honey and sit overnight. Add everything else and mix
to a firm dough. Rest 2 hours in a cool place. Roll out thinly (2-3 mm) and
cut out shapes (we use a bunch of trad animal shapes). Cook at 350 F/180 C
for 10 mins. Cool on racks, then ice.

ICING
White - Beat 3 egg whites to soft peak, then beat in about 400 g icing sugar
and a good squeeze of lemon juice.
Yellow - Beat 3 yolks, then beat in enough icing sugar to form a smooth icing.
We also make pink from the white (add red colour) and brown from the yellow
(add melted chocolate - not period I know!).

Apply one thin coat of icing (using a butter knife), dry, then pipe features
in a contrasting colour. Each shape we use has trad colours and patterns,
but I don't know how old these are.
Robyn Probert					Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager			Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Customer Support Manager			15 Castlereagh St
Lawpoint Pty Limited				Sydney  NSW  AUSTRALIA