SC - Lebkuchen recipie

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Sep 18 01:48:25 PDT 1998

At 4:02 PM +0100 9/18/98, Robyn Probert wrote:

Anyway, here is the lebkuchen recipie. I

>On with the recipie (this makes a LOT - about 200 or so biscuits)
>
>DOUGH
>4 eggs
>400 g brown sugar
>450 g white flour
>450 g whole wheat flour
>150 g honey
>1 pkt Oetker baking powder (or 10 g bicarb and 1/4 tsp baking powder)
>125 g mixed peel (ie preserved orange and lemon peel), very finely minced
>125 g walnuts, ground
>1 tsp each cinnamon, cloves, cardamom
>grated rind of 1/2 lemon
>
>Mix the eggs, sugar and honey and sit overnight. Add everything else and mix
>to a firm dough. Rest 2 hours in a cool place. Roll out thinly (2-3 mm) and
>cut out shapes (we use a bunch of trad animal shapes). Cook at 350 F/180 C
>for 10 mins. Cool on racks, then ice.

this has very little similarity to the period lebkuchen recipe that Valoise
posted earlier. Are you basing it on a different period recipe, or is it
simply a modern recipe (as the use of baking powder suggests) for something
with the same name as something that existed in period? In my experience,
it is risky to assume that the names of dishes keep their meaning over long
periods of time--consider syllabub, for example, or harisa, or blancmange.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/