SC - Pickled Mushrooms - Long

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Sep 19 06:57:28 PDT 1998

Greetings!  THL Morgan MacBride requested a recipe for pickled
mushrooms.  Here's one I found and followed since it is quite clear.  I
"cheated" and used button mushrooms so I didn't peel them.

Pickled mushrooms, from Sir Kenelme Digbie’s _The Closet
Opened_, as found in Cariadoc’s _Collection of Medieval and
Renaissance Cookbooks_.  I have edited out some of his instructions
that have no bearing on the preparation...It was a lot for my wrist to
type.

“Pickled Champignons”

“...Cut the great ones into halves or quarters,, seeing carefully there

be no worms in them; and peel off their upper skin on the tips: the
little ones, peel whole.  As you peel them, throw them into a
bason of fair-water, which preserves them white.  Then put them
into a pipkin or possnet of Copper (no Iron) and put a very little
water to them, and a large proportion of Salt.  If you have a pottle
of Mushrooms, you may put to them ten or twelve spoonfuls of
water, and two or three of Salt.  Boil them with a pretty quick-fire,
and scum them well all the while, taking away a great deal of
foulness, that will rise.  They will shrink into a very little room.
When they are sufficiently parboiled to be tender, and well
cleansed of their scum, (which will be in about a quarter of an
hour,) take them out, and put them into a Colander, that all the
moisture may drain from them.  In the mean time make your
pickle thus:  Take a quart of pure sharp white Wine Vinegar
(elder-Vinegar is best) put two or threee spoonfuls of whole
Pepper to it, twenty or thirty Cloves, one Nutmeg quartered,
two or three flakes of Mace, three Bay-leaves; (some like
Limon-Thyme and Rose-mary; but then it must be a very little
of each) boil all these together, till the Vinegar be well impraegnated

with the Ingredients, whch will be in about half an hour.  Then take
it from the fire, and let it cool.  When the pickl is quite cold, and
the Mushrooms also quite cold, and drained from all moisture: put
 them into the Liquor (with all the Ingredients in it) which you must
 be sure, be enough to cover them.  In twn or twelve days, they
will have taken into them the full taste of the pickle, and will keep
very good half a year.  If you have much supernatant Liquor, you
may parboil more Mushrooms the next day, and put them to the
first.  If you have not gathered at once enough for a dressing, you
 may keep them all night in water to preserve them white, and gather
more the next day, to joyn to them.”

Alys Katharine