SC - Rant-OP-OOT

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sun Sep 20 14:44:36 PDT 1998

I've traveled this road before, when I first came on the list.

Here's what I am beginning to understand.  Here on the List, we attempt to do
several things:
First among them is to disseminate information on authentic, documentable
medieval recipes.
Second is to explore and share the arts of the kitchen in the Current Middle
Ages.
Third is to form friendships and enjoy a sense of camaraderie.
When on the list I try to make plain if I am trying to recreate a "period"
known recipe, share a modern one, or "filk" one, if you will.  I have found
that in order for me to cook "as" the medieval folks did, I first have to cook
what we know they cooked, for me to get a feel for what a medieval palate
might find pleasing or objectionable.
I am still new to this, so far I have only cooked for my own family and my
household, but I hope to enter a baronial competition next month.  I've been
told that my recipe need only be "peri-oid" but I want to try with something
authentic.  I am being urged by my family to enter the Spinach Tart, but I
would like better documentation on it.  I am sure it would be perfectly
acceptable as it is, but being me, I want it to be perfect.  Perhaps I will
try one of the spinach tarts I have better documentation on.

Mordonna