Claification- Re: SC - Re: SC Ealdorereans experiment-VERY LONG

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Sep 20 14:47:51 PDT 1998

In a message dated 9/20/98 4:58:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Jgoldsp at aol.com
writes:

<< Would you care to explain  this last statement because you are confusing me
.
 It sounds like you are saying i am ignorant in historical food knowledge and
 what I wa saying is you need to balance and judge what you do ametuer or
 professional >>

And I thought you were implying that because I do 'historically authentic
feasts that I had no concern for my feasters. The problem with e-mail is there
is no way to gather either tone or inflection from posts. :-(

Many people in the SCA have eaten goddess awful food under the guise of
'authentic'. Several cooks on this list are fastidiously authentic and they
consistantly, time after time, produce wonderful and luscious food. Bad
cooking is bad cooking. Period food is NOT bad food. It is WONDERFUL!!!!! I am
a GOOD cook. So is  Adamantius, Aoife, Gunthar, Mordonna, Betty Cook,
Cariadoc, Cindy R. Alys K , Ceredwyn, Wolfmother and many others on this list.
We all produce; in the context of Feasts; period menus (although in the area
of camp cooking for a house we might choose to fudge it more times than not.
:-))
I do take my diners into consideration. For instance, if a recipe calls for
rue, I use it. I also post my ingredients. IF anyone feels that the risk of
ingesting large amounts of rue is equivalent to the insignificant risk
attached to the consumption of tiny quantities of rue they then have the of
not eating that particular dish.

Since I always serve from 12 to 16 seperate dishes and only one of those
dishes might contain rue, I feel that I have no obligation to leave it out of
the recipe. It is the same for allergies and food aversions. Unless you have
some expansive type of allergy you can always get your monies worth at a feast
I preside over. If you have SIGNIFICANT allergies, it is best for you to eat
off-board. To plan an entire menu around the wishes of a single individual is
not fair to the rest of the diners.

SFAIK, your attempts at period food may also be very good. I was not
questioning your expertise in that area as I have no way of knowing about
them.

I hope this clarifies things a little.

Ras