SC - Grits--OT OOP RECIPE!

LHG, JRG liontamr at ptd.net
Mon Sep 28 06:04:50 PDT 1998

From: Mordonna22 at aol.com
Subject: Re: SC - Grits-availability-OOP

>In a message dated 9/21/98 1:12:26 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
>draiocht at earthlink.net writes:

>>  making some grits with chedder cheese....
>>
>Can I come over to eat????

>Mordonna

No, no. You've got it all wrong. The BEST cheese grits are soufle-like,
made from honest-to-god slow cooked grits. Mmmmm....I'm hungry and this
isn't on my diet.

Here's my favorite recipe, to which I add some roasted garlic to cheat a
little:

Savory Cheese Grits

Prepare 4 servings of grits according to package directions. While still
hot, beat in 4 egg yolks, 2 cups of grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese, 2
tsp worchestershire sauce, and 1/2 cup of butter, chunked (butter will
melt--at this point I break out the jar of roasted garlic, and add a
generous dollop. The little old lady in kentucky who gave me this grits
recipe --which amounts to spoon bread---would have a coronary if she knew
about the garlic).

Stiffly beat 4 egg whites. Fold in the cheese and grits mixture and pour
into a greased casserole or soufle dish, leaving room for expansion. Bake
at 375 for 45 minutes (it will rise and get a nice brown crust). Serve
immediately. Excellent with roasts.