SC - time

Osburn-Day, Katherine katherine.osburn-day at lmco.com
Wed Sep 23 09:49:33 PDT 1998

Adamantius wrote
	snip...
> It's possible to say it in under ten seconds, but I doubt an
> English-speaker in period would be likely to do so in Latin, even if they
> breezed through and slurred it....snip

	But if they had always heard and said the Ave Maria in Latin,
wouldn't it be as familiar for them as it is in English for American
Catholics?  They probably had the Ave Maria and Pater Noster committed to
memory from childhood on.  And, as I understand church history, everything
was in Latin until Martin Luther.  It stands to reason then, that they would
have said it even more often than we do and probably just as fast.

	Caterina
	Amurgorod/Trimaris