SC - Preserving sorrel

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Sat Sep 26 07:02:36 PDT 1998

I have a question for our knowledgeable food chemists.  I want to keep my
sorrel for use over the winter.  I'll try digging up one of the 3 plants
for a window sill herb garden, but it occurred to me that I might be able
to simmer a dozen of the leaves in chicken stock, and then freeze the
stock in small amounts for use as needed.  The question is what will
freezing do to the oxalic acid in the sorrel juice, if anything?  Do
acids change by heat, freezing, aging, etc?  I know it would neutralize
if I put it into milk or baking soda, etc. but that's about the limit of
my food chemistry knowledge.  The leaves don't keep any longer than
lettuce or spinach leaves in the refrigerator.  What would drying in a
convection oven do to their chemicals?

The tenderizing effect of the sorrel is really welcome, as well as the
delicious taste of it in a stew, fricasee, etc.

Regards,

Allison

allilyn at juno.com