SC - nerves

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Sep 28 12:05:20 PDT 1998

> Hi everyone!
> Next weekend I will be preparing my first feast WITH documentation.  I am
> using recipes from Pleyn Delit-beef with garlic-pepper sauce, rice and
> chicken, and gingerbread.

These are good dishes to prepare for a feast in your area for a couple of
reasons. The first is that they are pretty easy to make and are easily adapted
from your expirience. The second is that they aren't too "weird" for those who
will be eating it.

> I thought I would type outmy information and place
> copies on the feast tables.

Or you could give them at the entrance when people check in at the gate.
Be sure to list the recipe, ingredients and where you got the recipe from.
This will help people to figure out the dishes they can eat and will also
prove they are period and not just because you say they are.

> We will be in a pasture(oh, I hope it doesn't rain!) and I am using
> coleman stoves and a wood cooker.

I've done a few pasture feasts myself and I agree that you need a cover of
some sort no matter if it rains or shines. Also rigging up a windblock can
save the feast. I learned this the hard way once. Make sure you have plenty
of water or a fire extinguisher nearby as well. Take cloths for covering food
so the flies won't bother it.

> Although I have done MANY feasts in my 13 years in the Society, this is my
> first attempt to share the research with a large group and I'm really kinda
> nervous about it.

Doing a period feast isn't much different than doing a feast of mundane foods.
You are keeping the dishes simple and with stuff that most modern palates will
accept. Take the advice of doing a pre-feast and include a couple of picky
eaters in the mix. Make sure you balance the flavors and textures. Don't
have everything sweet/aromatic or vinegary. Make sure there are soft and crunchy
textures.

> Could someone tell me if I am on the right track here and if not,
> could you give me some direction.

Looks good so far, and the fact that you are concerned is always a good sign.

> scared in Ansteorra,

You? Scared? Nah!

> Gwyneth

Yers,