SC - gilded food,

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Apr 1 07:21:33 PST 1999

"D. Clay-Disparti" wrote:

> I am interested in finding a source for the gold sheets for gilding....or
> anything....the only gold I could find when I needed it was a decorating powder you
> had to mix with vodka to use and the effect was not nearly so splendid.  Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Isabella/Dee

One source is Indian groceries, oddly enough, where silver and gold
sheets called vark are used both to decorate foods and also to
encapsulate betel nuts with various other herb/spice flavorings for chewing.

Real gold vark is rather expensive, compared to some things, but an
extremely little goes a rather long way. A quarter ounce is quite a few
sheets of the stuff, IIRC.

I've only worked with the silver stuff.

Adamantius
- --