SC - Angelfood

Margo Hablutzel margolh at nortelnetworks.com
Fri Apr 2 08:29:32 PST 1999

Greetings My Lord Adamantius from Phillipa Seton  :-)  (curtsey)
Yes, I did eat a tiny portion of the chickpea dish.  It was good, but not my
favorite dish of the feast.

Let  me try to explain, briefly, some of the rules of Passover in regard to
grain.  In Talmudic times the Rabbis decided that 5 grains were a no-no for
Passover.  (I forget which grains)  It all revolves around levening and
things that LOOK like they are rising due to levening.  So, yes we may have
seeds, just not levening or things that look like they are rising form
levening.  You can try this site which may give you a better insight into the
holiday.  (It wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but maybe it will help)
<A HREF="http://www.seder.org/">Seder.org</A>

I hope I have been of some help.
Phillipa
<<  She doesn't say if she ate any... ;  ) .

 Hey, a question born of curiosity. I gather that seed foods (i.e. grains
 and legumes) are out for Passover, except for matzoh products. It seems
 not to apply to other seeds eaten, like peppercorns. Is it that the
 rationale I heard, of eating no seed foods, is inaccurate, or did some
 rabbi simply fail to consider the implications at some point?

 Adamantius, prolly in trouble now
 --  >>