SC - gilded food (florilegium)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Apr 2 22:11:09 PST 1999

Can anyone help this lady?

<< From: Kathleen Ryan <KathleenRyan at compuserve.com>

 Greetings,

 Our SCA Shire is planning on holding an event in October of this year based
 on Henry's recent ownership of Hampton Court Palace.  I think we have
 placed the year for the event at 1528.  While the day's events will center
 around Henry, the feast will feature his wives.  I am the head cook and,
 for want of a better term, the feast's designer.  While I have the basic
 design for the feast completed, I could use some additional  advice and/or
 help.

 The feast will consist of six courses, one for each wife, as follows:

 Catherine of Aragon:                    Spanish.  I plan on doing the
 traditional first course of a Spanish dinner which is Tapas

 (appetizers)

 Anne Boleyn:                                                  French.  She
 liked French poetry, hats, and swordsmen.  (Maybe a French Tart dish as

       part of the course)

 Jane Seymour:                   Traditional English (A friend suggested the
 food be  boiled.  I think NOT.)
 Anna of Cleeves:                        German

 Katherine Howard:                       English.  (Maybe a Rosewater Tart.)

 Katherine Parr:                 Brandied Cherries or some such dessert to
 celebrate her survival.

 What I need the help on is this, does anyone know of a favorite dish or
 food type of any of these ladies?  If so, what was it or where can I find
 the source?  Do any of the recipes still exist?  If so, where can I get a
 copy?  A friend is checking  the Chicago library system for that book on
 10,000 Years of English Cooking for me and I have ordered a book on Tudor
 Feasts from B & N.

 Also, does anyone have a contact person at Hampton Court Palace that I can
 E-mail and get some questions answered?  The event steward was there a
 couple years ago and brought me a copy of The Tudor Kitchens booklet and
 another pamphlet type book on HCP but nothing with names or address.

 And before anyone asks, of course I'll share the recipes with the list and
 whomever else asks for them.

 Before I forget, I have one more question for the list.  For the past
 events we have named the feast tables for the Italian City States, major
 stops along the Silk Road, and cities in Eastern Europe.  I can't quite
 figure on what names to put on the tables for this feast.  I was thinking
 of naming them after members of Henry's privy council, but since many of
 them met with bad ends, I don't think that is really a good idea. We will
 be serving 160 people and will need 20 tables.   So can anyone think of
 some the names of Henry's favorite palaces and/or hunting lodges?

 Thanks for im advance for any help.

 Kathleen