SC - Happy Easter!

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun Apr 4 07:47:36 PDT 1999

Margo writes:

>My favourite example is "To Make a
>Fine Brede" which comes out very much like angelfood cake - which doesn't
>prove that angelfood cake is period, but shows that something like it was
>known back then.

I seem to remember a discussion about this a long time ago--before this
list existed. If it is the recipe I remember, the instructions didn't say
anything about beating egg whites stiff--which is a rather specific and
striking thing to do with them--so it wasn't clear whether what was being
made was something like angelfood cake or something more like Prince
Biscuit. There are a lot of different things that can come out of the same
list of ingredients.

Perhaps if Margo can provide the actual reference and/or recipe, we can see
how clear it is that the "very much like angelfood cake" conclusion follows
from it.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/