SC - Kitchen Steward Panics, film at 11:00

CorwynWdwd@aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Mon Apr 5 07:36:54 PDT 1999

Regarding the order of courses, my experience has been that if you serve the
beef in the first course, you will need a little more (and/or to present it
on a bed of starch, which is a good idea), but that everyone then goes into
the rest of the feast feeling fairly content.  You give them their beef,
they eat it, and then they're happy; they are psychologically satisfied; if
you serve eels or little pigeons or whatever in the third course, they don't
care.  Giving them the beef up front makes them feel good about the whole
feast.

Conversely, if you give them chicken as the first meat, then you get that
"oh, not chicken again" reaction; it doesn't matter what comes afterwards,
they'll remember the chicken.

We've served saracen stew followed by roasted spiced chicken, and we've
served roasted spiced chicken followed by saracen stew, and the first feast
got better reviews than the second.  Small, statistically suspect sample;
YMMV.

=Caitlin, in Storvik