SC - Spices For Sale?

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Apr 5 15:50:42 PDT 1999

At 1:46 PM -0500 4/5/99, Helen wrote:
>> .  Putting the beef, pre-sliced, on the rice and pre-sauced, as
>> someone suggested, is a good trick for making a little go a long way.
>
>So, taking this a step farther, how do you get this pile of meat, sauce
>and rice
>on the trecher/plate from the serving tray with 8 servings on it?  I am
>thinking
>of doing this with my venison and fumerty.  I have very little venison.

I'm coming into this late, but the serving procedure in the Islamic world
in period, with the exception of al-Andalus after the reforms credited to
Ziryab, seems to have been a tray with a pile of rice, with some of this
stuff on part of it and some of that stuff on part of it, and the diners
simply served themselves from that. The 13th c. Andalusian cookbook
mentions this way of serving and puts it down, claiming that the more up do
date, sophisticated approach is separate dishes for serving the separate
things.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/