SC - Spices For Sale?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Apr 5 23:35:13 PDT 1999

Bear,

>>I like to serve a sweet dish before the first course.  The sugar helps
assuage the ravenous appetite and slows the tempo of the feast.  It can
also buy you 10 to 20 extra minutes, if things are not going well with
the first course.<<

I doubt that you mean a dessert type item here; could you give us some
examples?  I like the idea.

I figure a 1/4 lb. *cooked* meat per person, per solid meat, maybe a bit
more if it's a heavy on the meat and potatoes crowd, and I don't put the
roast into the first course, it goes in the second, with the 'dainties',
i.e., delicate pies or more *made* dishes in the third.  My first usually
has a soup, salad, things we can put on the tables such as cheese plates,
pickles, and a medium weight dish.  Perhaps a hearty pie, or a stew or
casserole; something very good but not too expensive, to take the edge
off the appetite.

I've got a couple of 2 course dinners in the planning stage, unusually,
which throws off my thinking.  It interests me to see the various
reactions here as to the roast placement.

Too short a time for this suggestion, but keep it in mind.  Try out new
redactions, or just new recipies, at Household dinners.  Or Culinary
Guild.  Let people know they are favored 'guinea pigs' and get their

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA
Kingdom of Aethelmearc