SC - Sex Red Wine Jerky Recipe... (Was Pennsic food)

Michelle Groulx dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Tue Apr 6 09:24:26 PDT 1999

> >>I like to serve a sweet dish before the first course.  The sugar helps
> assuage the ravenous appetite and slows the tempo of the feast.  It can
> also buy you 10 to 20 extra minutes, if things are not going well with
> the first course.<<
>
> I doubt that you mean a dessert type item here; could you give us some
> examples?  I like the idea.

Actually, the items might be considered desserts in a modern context.  I
have started feasts with fruit filled brioche, an apple tart,  honey
sweetened apple cake and currant cakes.  I also try to have a loaf of bread
and butter on the table before the first course comes out.

In the future, I'm considering using panforte, wardens in syrup, or fruit
filled krapfen (the modern version is the Berliner).

The dishes are all items which can be prepared in advance, keep well, and
can be served cold.

> I've got a couple of 2 course dinners in the planning stage, unusually,
> which throws off my thinking.  It interests me to see the various
> reactions here as to the roast placement.
>
> Allison

With the Ansteorran carnivores, I think placing the beef later in the meal
works better.  However, one places the dishes where one must for the the
proper artistic effect.

Bear