SC - Pennsic Cookery Classes?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Apr 8 01:22:22 PDT 1999

grasse at mscd.edu wrote:

> Last year I looked into obtaining vark from a local Indian grocer, and was
> told it was no longer legal to import into the US, so the no longer carried
> it.  If this is incorrect, or if you know of a mail order source I would be
> interested and grateful.

Hmmmm...this is the first I'm hearing of this. I believe the FDA has a
problem with betel nuts, and may conceivably, in their peculiar way,
have banned importation of betel nuts and all associated paraphernalia.

I have no real data to support this, though. I'll have to ask some of
the local merchants (both the Indian groceries and the high-end
cake-and-confectionary-decoration places). There may also be shelves of
the stuff sitting around someplace, gathering dust and not knowing or
caring about current U.S. statute.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy