SC - Wheat vs Spelt Icelandic Chicken doughs

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Thu Apr 8 20:23:03 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/8/99 10:31:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
margali at 99main.com writes:

<< i love the way odd grains
 have been coming back in the last 30 or so years thanks to the heirloom foods
 interest groups!]
 margali >>

I would say they are odd. I like to think of it as a move toward more
'traditional' food resources. :-) Quinoa, couscous, and amaranth has become a
part of my normal grocery shopping and beats potatoes and rice, so far as
flavor and versatility, by a landslide. :-)

One of my greatest pleasures is setting down a bowl of quinoa on the table
when i serve poultry or couscous for a beef side dish when everyone is
expecting mashed potatoes. :-) This week I picked up a new (to me, that is)
grain called 'Teff Grain'. It is  smaller than poppie seed and  is touted as
'the Incredibly Nutritious Staple Grain of Ethiopia'. Unfortunately, no
recipes for the 'staple' exist in any of my ethnic Ethiopian cookery books
and no instructions came with the  package. But I will prevail, even if I
have to personally re-invent 'teff' cookery. ;-)

BTW, for those with access to Wegman's , they sell spelt flour in bulk. If
they  don't have a product simply ask the department head for it and they
will order it for you. :-)

Ras (sitiing smugly with 2 Wegman's goats for his feast in the freezer. :-))