SC - Odd grains (was wheat vs. spelt)

lilinah at grin.net lilinah at grin.net
Fri Apr 9 10:27:28 PDT 1999

kat wrote:
>> Sitting on the shelf next to the rices, there was a small cellophane packet
>> of *black* rice.

I responded:
>Oh, yeah, i forgot to mention, after it is cooked and the outer coating
>begins to burst, black rice is purple. OOOH, lovely

Then Adamantius responded:
>I wouldn't be surprised if this was either treated in some way (sepia
>ink comes to mind, which actually would probably be pretty yummy) or
>actually was some black variety of rice.

Iya, beras itu, hitam betul. Tidak hitam dari cumi-cumi.

>I have some red rice from Indonesia
>in my cupboard,

I really miss this stuff. Indonesian rice was richly fragrant. Indonesians
hated the stuff the US sent them to feed the starving masses, and since
i've come back, i never buy US rice either and i smell what i do buy, since
so much seed grain is getting distributed overseas.

Real red rice tasted wonderful. When the brick red coating burst on
cooking, the inside was pink. And it had a rich nutty flavor. And red and
black rices were not more expensive than regular rice, unlike the way it is
here in the US.

Anahita Gaouri bint-Karim al-Fassi
nostalgic for rice...