SC - Wegman's

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Apr 9 12:16:16 PDT 1999

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999 lilinah at grin.net wrote:

> We have LARGE regional chain supermarkets. I know A&P is an American
> company originally. When i was a kid in Chicago, we had the A&P. Another
> big chain was the Jewel Tea. It's probably been merged into some other corp
> by now?
> One of the larger chains out west here is Safeway. It's in Northern
> California and parts of Nevada (does it make it over the border to Oregon?)
> and is a hugely rich and powerful corp. Believe me, selection isn't much of
> a problem. Another large NoCal chain is Lucky (but they're sucky-you should
> pardon the expression).

Safeway is throughout Oregon and Washington (Western, at least). The
quality is pretty consistent, and store layouts are similar, whether I'm
in Eugene or Ashland or Puyallup, I know where to go for milk or Mystic
Mints (a kind of cookie introduced to me by an evil ex-boyfriend).

> There are different chains in Southern Cal - i mentioned a couple in a
> into parts of Nevada - does it go into Arizona too?

I don't know about Von's, but Albertson's is also all over the Pacific
Northwest. They're based in Idaho,  and one or the sidebenefit's to that
is that they frequently have good quality lamb- not just around Easter.

And all this remind's me that I'm about out of milk...

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731