SC - Re: coffee? tea!

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Apr 10 00:30:01 PDT 1999

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, david friedman wrote:

> At 10:56 PM -0700 4/8/99, Laura C Minnick wrote:
> >	There is always tea and hot water to be had in my camp. Tea and
> >brownies are my bending of the 'rules', and for those, I will brook no
> >opposition. Call them my vices if you will.
> Have you considered looking for period substitutes? There are lots of good,
> period sweet pastry type things, although they don't have chocolate in
> them. Off hand, I can't think of any good period sources of caffeine and
> tannin, but perhaps someone else can.

Yes, I have considered alternatives. But I have found that I can hire
laborers, bribe people, ransom queens, lure men, etc., with my famous
Double-Chocolate Death Brownies, where I have been unsuccesful with other
pastries. And tea makes me stand upright in the morning (my friends
consider this a safety issue, like having a marshal on the field). But as
I said, those are my vices. You will find no corn, tomatoes, bell peppers,
potatoes, canned Spaghettios or cheap beer in my camp. (I do have my
standards.)

respectfully,
'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731