SC - all of Pennsic?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Apr 10 17:36:46 PDT 1999

>Clean up crew what's that.  I have always had the pleasure of cooking serving
>and clean up for a feast.  Have I been doing something wrong all these years?

Nope. And you could come play for our group anytime. However, sometimes
there aren't many alternatives. We have a small group, maybe 20 active
people. We like feasts (got one coming up next weekend I should be cooking
Lamb Haricot for, rather than reading and responding to email). It means a
fair amount of precooking, onsite cooking, and then cleanup. Often the same
10 -- or 5 -- are doing most of the work (it just works out that way, don't
it). I thoroughly appreciate it when people come in from cleaning the hall
, packing up, etc., and work in the kitchen also, and help me put 'my
kitchen' back in my car, but I don't expect it.

In a larger group,  say our neighbor barony to the south, with easily 2-3
times the population base and membership, it's far easier to get separate
cooking, serving, and kitchen cleanup crews. But there have been times down
there when after volunteering in the kitchen (which I like to do) before
feast, serving feast (which I also like to do if needed -- I get very bored
sitting by myself at feast when my friends are busy), I've found myself
head of cleanup and doing a lot of it myself because no one volunteered
beforehand nor when a call for volunteers was called out in the hall.

So, the answer to the riddle of why a cook (head, or otherwise) is cleaning
up, etc., is "it depends on the situation." I wish I could say it's that
much easier to clean up after a feast for 30 than for a feast for 100 (I've
not done any larger), but we all know it's not much of a difference.

But it can make for a long day, eh?

Morgana

Morgana yr Oerfa, Baroness      *     Sharron Albert
Winter's Gate/Oertha/West       *     morgana at gci.net
Per saltire gules and sable,    *     Babylon 5/science fiction
in pale two mullets and         *     (astrology/tarot)
in fess an increscent           *     I saw nothing unusual in the teacher's
and a decrescent argent.        *          lounge. --Bart Simpson