SC - big spice question

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Apr 11 00:16:58 PDT 1999

According to Dymock, Warden, and Hooper, *Pharmacographia Indica: A History
of the Principle Drugs of Vegetable Origin*, Gul-i-gaozaban is the flower of
Caccinia Glauca, a plant in the Borage family. "In India the drug has long
held a high place in native practice as an alterative tonic in syphilitic,
leprous, and rheumatic cases; it has also diuretic and demulcent
properties." The further note: "If long kept the flowers lose their deep
blue colour and turn reddish." Do you want further details? I can suplly the
fulkl entry if you wish

Francesco