SC - After feast

Tollhase1@aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Sun Apr 11 22:02:25 PDT 1999

I have often found that bribing people works.  Yes, I bring in good snacks
for kitchen help.  Make sure that their are good leftovers for people that
stay.  That bottle of mead, of fresh potted herbs can make many a friend.
Generally make the kitchen fun to be in.  I was at an event of which a knew a
few people.  Wandered into the kitchen and was put to work for most of the
day.  I felt able to leave at anytime and not trapped in the kitchen.  I was
able to visit people I did know attend classes and had a great time.

Its not just a volunteer problem in the SCA, other nonprofit organizations
are having the same problem.  People it seems would rather just play than
help or work even those paid to do so.  I am supposed to be working on ideas
to help three local theater groups with their technical volunteer programs.
If we come up with some good ideas, I will pass them along.  Fun, for people
seems the biggest point.  But what is fun.  How do you insure the work still
gets done?

There will always be those of us that always stay and get things done.  Its
part of our nature whether we like it or not.  The Trick is to get those whom
its not to want to help.  I think it great someone mentioned fighters
cleaning the kitchen afterwards to show their appreciation.  Perhaps having a
nice small feast for those that really pitched in would work.  In our group
there are more cooks than fighters by far.

Another point someone mentioned was communication.  Do people really know you
need them?  Yes, I always ask at event, do you need anything done.  Do people
know where to ask?  Of course we say Troll.  That's an assumption that we
expect others to know what we know.  I didn't know that until someone told me
at my first Pennsic.  When I entered camp, everyone camped with us asked if I
had volunteered to clean the woods yet.  Looking dumfounded, I was taken to
where I needed to be.  Had a great time?  Met new people of which several are
good friends I would not have met otherwise.  But their are others that are
too shy, afraid of making a mistake or being laughed at.  Like the fighter
whom thought anyone with a white belt was a peel or my first time at archery
breaking some guy wearing a green hood's arrows.  Yes, that person and I are
actually friends now.  And their are others whom truly think everything is
taken care of and are not needed.

Let people know you need help.  Let people know their help is valuable.  Let
them know afterwards how much you appreciated their taking time out to help.
Yes, even the ones whom scuba your wonderfully seasoned skillet with a
Braille pad so it would be nice and shinny.  The thank-you cards our mothers
made us write are still nice.

Hope this is of some service.

Lord Frederich Holstein der Tollhase