SC - After feast

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Apr 12 10:52:31 PDT 1999

This, I do not understand.
When I Autocrat a feast, I would not DREAM of Having the Cooks do the cleanup!
Kitchen Cleanup falls under the provenance of Hall Cleanup, Since I usually get the kitchen when I rent the hall, I consider them a unit.
I would not clean only half a hall, so I make sure that I have cleanup crew to clean the Kitchen.

Here is how, as Autocrat, I usually organize the Kitchen scullery (OF COURSE, I go over this plan with the cook, but that is as far as the cook HAS to be involved):

For a "average" Feast (serving about 200) Set for 6:00 serving time:
2:00 to 4:00PM   First Pot Watch
   (One person is made available to clean pots, mixing bowls, etc, and do small chores)
4:00 to 6:00PM  Second Pot Watch
6:00 to 7:00PM  First Scullery Wave
    (One person Ready to clean serving gear and pots)
6:30 to 7:30PM  Second Scullery Wave  (overlaps other waves at peak time)
7:00 to 8:00PM  Last Scullery Wave
After last course is served comes the
Final Assault! (four to six persons as available)
Cook is ejected from Kitchen, made to sit down with friends, and a class of cool beverage.
Swabbing teams attack kitchen and appliances, and clean all dirty utensils, dishes, and pots, etc.
All items placed on counter, and cook is summoned to Identify and sort  ( from chair, preferably) items as Personal, Group's or Site's equipment.
Items are put away according to directions of cook and cooks staff,
More beverage passed around to all
9:30 PM     Floor and counters swabbed, Garbage out, Assault and Cooks teams rejoin revels.

Admittedly, some people double up on these chores, and the timetable often slides, because of menu, serving time, number of courses, or kitchen size (some kitchens just can't hold more than 4 people working at one time), but this is the "ideal" cleanup schedule. Many times the Final assault crew is Ad hoc, gathered form on site volunteers, but the Scullery and pot Watch personnel are picked ahead of time, and know their roles well in advance, so they won't make conflicting day plans.
(I believe in filling out my work teams early, and reminding the work teams what they will be doing, and when, as a part of each event report, prior to the event, at every Baronial meeting, so there will be no excuses.)

Brandu