SC - Feast accounting

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Apr 12 13:53:38 PDT 1999

>> From: LrdRas at aol.com <LrdRas at aol.com>
>>Although the recipe packet is a great idea, I am appalled that you had to
>>'clean up' after feast. This is outrageous, IMO!

Michelle adds:

> Absolutely outrageous. Jasmine, where was your clean up crew? Sometimes >
you have to gently nudge the clean up situation but as head cook you should
> never never never never have to clean up after you have done a feast.

Hate to burst bubbles for you good gentles, but you are very fortunate in
where you are located.  Here in the Central West I have been attending
feasting events for ten years (and cooked for not a few!) and have yet to
hear those magic, wonderful words:  "Okay, all the cooks out of the
kitchen, now!"  It is (sadly) a very common practice out here for the head
cook to be the person pushing the mop at 1 AM.

In a way I can see there is a sort of logic behind this:  Out here, feasts
are the only indoor events we hold (besides 12th night).  Therefore, feasts
are the only events (besides 12th night) where one gets to wear one's
*reallly* good garb.  They are also better events to bring one's families
to (i.e., small children).

But logic or no, it still sucks.  ;-)

I've been on several event planning committees (and autocratted a few
myself) and this subject is always brought up, clucked over ("what a pity,
the cooks shouldn't have to clean up") and the idea of a "clean-up
committee" is always brought forth.  Inevitably, either nothing is done, or
the people who volunteer for the committee have "other commitments" and you
get one or two folks who sweep or wash dishes for about an hour and then
have to go home.

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting such a wonderful, noble
tradition as yours started out here?  Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

	- kat