SC - feast cleanup for the head cook

Jgoldsp@aol.com Jgoldsp at aol.com
Mon Apr 12 16:04:03 PDT 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: CONNECT at aol.com <CONNECT at aol.com>
>I guess I must be nuts. I would no more ask someone to go shop for
>ingredients for me than I would to clean up after me. I take it as a level
of
>consideration and responsibility, I guess. Because I made the mess, I have
>clean it up.

I sincerely hope you're now not insinuating that we who don't have to clean
up are inconsiderate and irresponsible. I may be making the mess but I
delegate to some pretty cheerful individuals who WANT to do this. I have, as
yet, to see someone being held at sword point to clean up a kitchen. If this
makes me a Prima Donna so be it...at least I don't have anything to complain
about.

>I would consider it rude to ask someone else to take care of the clean up.
>am grateful to those who would help, and I even ask specific people to help
>well in advance of the event, but I would never ditch out on them once they
>showed up.

This is where we basically differ I think Rosalyn. I don't see cleaning up
as "part and parcel" as you do. My job ends when I "oversee" the clean up
and make sure its done and done to MY standards. I feel this makes for a
more effective Kitchen Steward who can focus more on what their craft is.
And mine is not Pot Scrubber.

>It comes down to the level of participation, perhaps. Because it's been
>drilled into me that I should never ask anyone to do something that I
>wouldn't be willing to do, I expect to do clean up.

Its not that I am not WILLING to do it, its just that I think this is a
shared job. There is such a thing as spreading yourself too thin and when
that happens the integrity of your feast is compromised. I won't do that. As
well, get some unexperienced person in your kitchen and it might just spark
some interest in them to "graduate" from pot scubber to chopper to co-cook
to a brand new Kitchen Steward

Respectfully Yours
Micaylah