SC - Piggly Wiggly

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Mon Apr 12 17:23:16 PDT 1999

I came, i lurked, i posted, i shall retreat to lurking...

Greetings, good gentles:

As is too often my wont, i lurk for a time - usually several weeks to a
month - then jump in without introducing myself.

I am an actor at Renaissance fairs, middle class at the big NoCal fair and
in a Puritan guild that does a number of small fairs. I am relatively new
to the SCA, although i did participate for about a year around ten years
ago in another kingdom, after which time i moved to my current location in
the West/Mists. I have only begun attempting to get involved again in the
last several months.

I have helped a friend, a fighter, design fairly authentic Norman garb
which he made himself (he also made his turnshoes, cuir bouilli armor, and
chainmail eventail) and i just gave him a Norman haircut yesterday (shudder
- - he had red hair almost to his waist, now he has a bowl hair cut - a very
tiny bowl - although using the electric shaver on the back of his head and
over his ears was fun...).

I have not yet cooked or served (or cleaned up) an SCA feast, but i'm
willing. My participation is hindered to some extent in that i am without a
car. My friend, who has a car that's only good for short distances, works
Saturdays, so i haven't yet met many local folk.

My persona is still in the development stages. At this point, i must do
more detailed research, but as i stand (well, actually, i am sitting) i am
Maghrebi, with a father who trades cloth and a Persian mother. I'm from the
10th C., when women at that end of the Muslim world could be professional
lawyers, scribes (i'm trying to learn - my preferred hand is Carolingian
and i enjoy doing non-period illuminations and miniatures), or run
important libraries, as i understand. And wine was drunk in the court.

I love cooking and eating modern Near Eastern food, and am checking out the
URLs mentioned in various posts for period Near Eastern food. Any Near
Eastern guidance in cuisine and other aspects of SCA life is greatly
appreciated. I've read and bookmarked many sites, but "realworld" book
references are also welcome.

In real life, i have experience teaching cooking classes in Southeast Asian
food (Sri Lanka, Burma, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia & Indonesia, and
Phillipines), and catering Southeast Asian food for smallish groups (up to
200), although i am not currently doing this. I put together a small (under
90 recipes) photocopied Indonesian cook book while in an intensive
Indonesian language program, which was sold to other students in the
program. I have heard that it has appeared, in n-th generation photocopies,
in the kitchens of Indonesians studying in America. Unfortunately, it isn't
warm enough around here for a period Indonesian persona :-)

Your humble servant,
Anahita Gaouri bint-Karim al-Fassi