SC -German translations, was Pennsic Cookery Class Suggestions: Long

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Mon Apr 12 23:59:18 PDT 1999

Lord Frederich,

My German is strictly the tourist variety, but the vocabulary in cookery
is somewhat finite, so it has been possible to make glossaries for
myself, using a variety of dictionaries, German cook books, and a book my
mother had when we were first stationed in Frankfurt, that had the
English on one side, the German on the facing page, so that American
housewives and German cooks could communicate.

As with your theater example, it is essential to know your subject.  If
you don't know what the writer is trying to tell you, you have no hope of
translating accurately.  I came across something that translated,
literally, as 'over and under ceaslessly or you will be sorry'.  I just
sat back, looked at where we were in the recipe and tried to let the 400
year old message come through--one cook to another.  Of course!  Keep
stirring!

German words are a gestalt.  I try to break the word into its roots, and
figure from there, if it isn't in my home-made glossary.  I miss the
vernacular that way, and the older the recipe, the more dialectic it is,
but I can get quite a few translations in my laborious way.

There is a book, _Mittelhochdeutsches Tashenworterbuch_, by Matthias
Lexer, S. Hirsel, Wissenschaftliche Verlagsgesellschat Stuttgart, 1992.
I haven't had too much luck with it, yet.  Probably would do better if I
were literate in German.  Most modern dictionaries don't have cookery
terms in them, probably because they are mostly written by men, and
dictionary writers don't cook.  They don't sew, either!

What I really need is someone who speaks German and cooks to review my
work for accuracy.  Sometimes, there are words I just cannot find or
figure out.

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA