SC - feast cleanup for the head cook

CONNECT@aol.com CONNECT at aol.com
Tue Apr 13 08:02:09 PDT 1999

Ugh.
Perhaps you need to make the whole Cleanup crew  a fun thing, not a chore.
Have music.
Special food and treats for the crew.
Mopping or cleaning in time to music. "mopping and bopping"
Lots of laughing and giggling.

This is the "Tom Sawyer Effect"
If you make a job seem like work, no one will want to do it.
If you make it seem like fun, everyone will want to do it.

Some of the best times I had at events were on the cleanup crew.
I particularly recall a swabbing contest with several other sefaring personae. Each of us was given a Quarter of the hall, and who did the best time won. I came in second to a mundane sailor.

brandu

Jeff Gedney
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Voice Recognition Technologies
Dictaphone, USA
Mailto:JGedney at Dictaphone.com

>>> kat <kat at kagan.com> 04/12 8:30 PM >>>
Maedb suggests:

> I offer for possible consideration Something that we have come up with
> that helps the situation. In exchange for clean-up time, we waive the
site
> fee for a limited number of "tickets". It gets the place cleaned up, and
> it allows some to attend who otherwise couldn't afford it. And ya can't
> tell by looking who was a barter, and who paid the fee (so there's no
> embarassment).

Maedb, this is a good suggestion and I'm glad it works for you.  I hope it
works for others as well.

Unfortunately for our area, we have tried this in the past to little or no
avail.  Despite the fact that our Barony contains a College (read:  lots of
poor students), last year at my feast I couldn't even hire a dishwasher for
*cash.*  (Free feast ticket + $25 = $37.00; or $9.25/hr. for 4 hours'
honest work.  No one even nibbled.)

On a brighter note, we *did* solve the no-one-wants-to-serve-either problem
this year, though:  Our Baron offered his high-school drama class extra
credit to show up in costume and "character" and serve the feast.  For the
first time in **years,** we had more than a handful of servers...  :-)

 - kat