SC - feast cleanup for the head cook

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Tue Apr 13 09:18:45 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/12/99 11:23:29 PM, memorman at oldcolo.com writes:

<< How old are
you and how much to you weigh?  >>

I'm 35 and won't answer the rest except to say I'm overweight.

Now, isn't that a very rude question to ask? Plus, why the heck does it
matter?

Yours,
Rosalyn MacGregor
(Pattie Rayl)

	I think Elaina's point was that it's no longer as easy
	to sprint about the hall after a long day on your feet,
	in my case as well as in many others bearing more of a
	load than they did when they were when we were 21,
	pushing a dustmop before you like an airy sprite.

	It wasn't a rude question, it was meant to be a
	thought-provoking question.

	On this thread--I have to say, in some contrast to
	Elaina, that the people I most often see acting as
	though they're paying so therefore they expect ser-
	vice as if in a restaurant or a hotel, are more often
	newer people--not rank newbies, but those who have
	come in and never been told that clean-up crew and
	scullery were *the* places to be.

	I'm grateful I "grew up" in groups where the clear
	expectation was that *everyone* pitched in.  There
	were no fighters who thought that their status as
	'warriors" removed them from the realm of chopping
	vegetables.  The highest ranking person was often
	standing with a dish drying cloth yelling, "Move
	it along up there!  We're out of dishes!"  It was
	several years before I ran into much in terms of
	rank and privilege as a self-imposed bar to wield-
	ing a broom when necessary.

	So if we must point fingers, which I'm not fond of
	and don't encourage, I'd have to say that my exper-
	ience says that the attitude has roots more in the
	generation that expects instant gratification and
	gets lots of passive entertainment in the form of
	television and Nintendo.

	One of my friends made an interesting observation
	this weekend:  she said, in this kingdom, at least,
	that she'd found less trouble getting clean-up
	crews at smaller events than larger ones--possibly
	because everyone assumes it's already handled.

Berengaria