SC - tomatoes

RoseThstle@aol.com RoseThstle at aol.com
Wed Apr 14 04:08:34 PDT 1999

At 10:07 PM -0600 4/13/99, J. Steve Hamaker wrote:
>If tomatoes are highly used in the 15th century in southern Italy
>and grown wild in England, why can I not find recipes in England or
>France that use tomatoes?
>Much help appreciated!

Tomatoes are a new world vegetable, so not likely to be "highly used" in
the 15th century anywhere in Europe.

I believe there is a reference to eating tomatoes fried in Italy in the
16th c., in a piece by Jan Longone on the history of the tomato. That is
the earliest reference to tomatoes in Europe that I know of.

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University
ddfr at best.com