SC - Fw: [Mid] RE: The Crusades

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Apr 14 11:13:15 PDT 1999

> Lady Brighid ni Chiarain writes:
>
> << and then grate good cheese of Aragon >>
>
> What would be a modern equivalent of this Aragon Cheese?

Aragon cheese is still made in Spain.  I do not know if the modern version
is the same as it was in period.  I have never tasted it, so I'm not sure
what more commonly found cheeses might be used as a substitute.  Here's a
description, taken from www.cheese.com, if it helps:

Aragon

for 40 minutes at 95 degrees F. Curd is cut into small bits, drained,
molded and pressed by hand. Aragon ripens for a week in a controlled humid
environment. This cheese is sometimes made with a mixture of ewe's and
goat's milk.

Country: Spain

Milk: ewe and goat milk

Texture: semi-hard