SC - First Feast

Nancy Santella annaoftderturm at pathway.net
Thu Apr 15 00:34:21 PDT 1999

Ruadh commented:
> As soon as I get it, I plan to forward a recipe that a new cook made this
> weekend at his first feast!  It was a homemade mustard sauce with some honey
> into it, that was just stunning!  VERY hot (and apparently less so then the
> first batch) despite not a drop of horseradish or anything else that would
> obviously have that effect.  It went over really well - people were begging
> for more to go with other things!  (he served it with roast beef, but we
> also tried it on bread, in the vegetarian barley soup and on the chicken!)
> Apparently the recipe is out of Pleyn Delit and is very easy...

Ground mustard seed by itself can be rather hot even without any additions
such as horseradish.

I would like to get the redaction of this recipe to add to those in
the mustard-msg file in the Florilegium. You might be interested in
looking at the recipes in this file or pointing your new cook to this
file if he might be interested in trying other period mustard recipes.

This file is in the FOOD section of my files:
mustard-msg       (67K)  2/15/99    Mustard seed in period. sauces. recipes.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****