SC - Cook's Knight Out?

Vicki Eldredge vstrassb at atlp.com
Thu Apr 15 08:31:51 PDT 1999

>>Several have mentioned this and it makes me wonder:
>>If staff don't pay, at what level does one cease to be a staff member
>>and become a paying attendee volunteering for a task?
>>
>At our Baronial events, it is customary for the Autocrat and Feastcrat to
>get in without paying the event fee.  Other freebies include the Royalty
>(but not their entourage, we just had a go-round about that one) and
>sometimes we have winners of something that are given free events for a
>year or the like.  But other staff members all pay, as do significant
>others of the Feast and Autocrat.  I am the one who really instituted the
>no fee for the Feastcrat, I plain refused to pay for the priveledge of
>working my butt off and taking time off of my mundane Chef's job to boot.
> I have insisted on this becoming a tradition, and we have stuck to it.
>Christianna

I suspect it depends on the size of your group. We're doing a fairly
elaborate feast this weekend for an expected 40 people (about 15 of whom
are traveling from our neighbor to the south, about 400 miles away). If we
let the royalty, the head cook and primary staff, and autocrat not pay, it
begins to cut into our income noticeably.

We won't bicker if Their Highnesses don't pay, but the rest of us will (who
can -- hardship cases are worked out). And most of us will do our fair
share of work.

Larger groups can absorb 'staff' at lot easier.

Morgana

Morgana yr Oerfa, Baroness      *     Sharron Albert
Winter's Gate/Oertha/West       *     morgana at gci.net
Per saltire gules and sable,    *     Babylon 5/science fiction
in pale two mullets and         *     (astrology/tarot)
in fess an increscent           *     I saw nothing unusual in the teacher's
and a decrescent argent.        *          lounge. --Bart Simpson