SC - After feast

Stapleton, Jeanne jstaplet at mail.law.du.edu
Thu Apr 15 12:34:16 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/15/1999 2:57:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Seton1355 at aol.com writes:

> I have a rose bush that has never been sprayed with insecticide.  When the
>  roses come out, should I just collect the petals and but them in a jar of
>  rose water?

Or even in spring water, or vodka to make a rose liquer.

>  In the fridge?

Absolutely, otherwise the molds and yeastie beasties on the skin of
everything will do their job, which is to complete the cycle into rot.

>  Do you keep adding rose petals to the same water as they bloom? Yes, but
try and trim off the white parts at the base of the petels, sometimes their
bitter.

>  Anybody ever make their own rose water!

Not REAL rose water of course, because it's distilled, and of course here in
the US that's a no no.

Of course I would never do such a thing. Hypothetically of course... you
could, if the law allowed... put the water over very low heat, maybe in say,
a pressure cooker not locked down, and cool the vapors that come out the vent
with copper tubeing. This is, of course, illegal in the strict letter of the
law.. OH! and if you COULD do this, it would be a bad idea to let the water
run out or the petals get dry, as this might prompt destructive distillation,
producing wood alcohol... which is bad for us. But of course... we'd never
think to do anything like that anyway.

And besides, the store bought is so cheep here.

>From under the rock
Corwyn