SC - Arabic names for cinnamon

David Dendy ddendy at silk.net
Thu Apr 15 19:57:25 PDT 1999

>At 12:34 AM 4/15/99 -0700, you wrote:
>>Hi everyone,
>>
>>        I am doing my first feast with-in a month. The hall will hold 100,
>>but my shire advisers said to plan for 48. I am making meat pies and
>>dumplings ahead and freezing them. But my real concern is what do I do if
>>the morning of the event 50 more people decide to stay for feast. Do I run
>>to the store and buy all the food over again and make every thing again.
>>This point is making me real nervous. I will welcome any of your suggestions
>>or horror stories (only if they have HAPPY ENDINGS)
>>
>>Anna OftderTurm

Hello!  I agree with Adamantius.  Offer a limited menu to the late-comers.
Cut off the sign-up for the feast several hours ahead of time, giving
yourself enough time to send someone to the store, if necessary (but
sending someone to the store can be a disaster for your budget if you're
not careful) .

Some things, such as soups & salads, can be expanded easily.  I'd forget
about making dumplings, or other labor-intensive dishes.  Someone mentioned
ready-made pie crusts.  These can be good, if they're not too expensive,
for last-minute custard or quiche pies.

It's a good idea to keep on hand ingredients that will keep for a long time
if they wind up not being needed, such as eggs, rice, dry beans, root
veggies, etc.

Malasade is basically scrambled eggs on toast, & is a good easy last-minute
dish.  Gelyne (hen) in broth is also easy & inexpensive, & will stretch
pretty far if you make it with rice instead of breadcrumbs.  Flavored rice,
Browne fryes (dark bread dipped in egg batter & fried), and Pokerounce
(spiced honey on bread, topped with pine nuts) are all quick & easy.

Something I like to do is prepare chardwardon (wine & pear sauce) or apple
moyle (applesauce) far ahead of time & can it.  That way I only open what I
need.  There's a recipe around here somewhere for dry balls of mustard,
that can be mixed with vinegar? when needed.

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net
Recipes"