SC - Feast Enhancement Kit

Melusine L Swepston mdepeyriac at juno.com
Sat Apr 17 12:37:26 PDT 1999

I heartilly disagree-
I have made mead with clove as an ingredient, and i multiplies my 1 gallon
recipe into 5 gallons and it came out so overwhelmingly clove it was
undrinkable! I have also done the chili thing for a picnic, and the same
happened with the scotch bonnets. I have no idea why, and it doesn't make sense
but it is true. If I make a batch of stock, I make my 6 gallon batch with a
larger proportion of aromatics than i used to do with the 25gallon kettle. I do
notice conversely, it takes smaller amount of roasted bones in proportion to do
middlesized 12 gallon batches, don't ask me why!
margali

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> The intensity of flavor you describe comes from essential oils found in
> the spice. It doesn't multiply like bacteria, nor make anything it
> touches radioactive. Either it's there, molecule by molecule, or it
> isn't, and the variables that would apply would have to do with the
> shape and capacity of the mouth and tongue, which vary from individual
> to individual, but not from case to case. Assuming the spice is stirred
> evenly into the mass, it is comparing apples and, well, apples.
>
> By the above logic, if  a chili recipe calling for one chili pequin (for
> example) is scaled up by  a factor of twenty, it would call for (again,
> just an example) five chilies instead of twenty. That simply isn't the
> case, for the reason detailed previously. If it were, and you made
> twenty individual pots of chili, all just fine in heat intensity, and
> then put them together in a giant bowl or pot, it would magically become
> too hot. It doesn't.

true, i agree with this part.

> We can't very well discuss Helen's problem with scaling-up recipes and
> discuss flavor intensity and say scaling up the spices is not the issue,
> can we? Will these dishes also taste too much like meat if we scale up
> the meat quantities appropriately? How about onion? Carrot? All of these
> ingredients have a given, finite amount of the stuff that gives them
> their flavor; spices just have more per unit, which is why they're used
> to flavor other foods. That doesn't make them immune to the laws of physics.
>
> Adamantius

But spices arent the aromatics, they seem to have  more concentrated substance
in them, to whit celery seed is srtonger than celery leaf, and if you double the
amount of chopped celery it isnt the same if you double the amount of celery
seed. It is sort of the same with bell pepper vs chiles. You can double the
amount of chili with the double amount of bell pepper, and the same amount of
scotch bonnet and it stays pungent, but if you put in more than half an extra
scotch bonnet it goes from hot to scorching. Hey, we do a lot of chili here-my
hub is from the west and my roommate is from texas, what can i say!