SC - SC-Coleman Fantasy Kitchen

Stapleton, Jeanne jstaplet at mail.law.du.edu
Mon Apr 19 08:57:26 PDT 1999

As a server, I have always hated being fed before feast because (1) it's
usually at 4:30pm or 5:00pm and I'm not yet hungry, (2) I'm usually
finishing up something else, or it's the only time I have to talk with
friends who were busy with other things all day, who usually are not serving
so I won't see them until after supper, if at all (some leave instead of
staying), and (3) servers usually get some simple token meal instead of the
nifty things that come back from the tables, and I'd rather eat what the
sitting people eat than just roast chicken and bread.

As a cook, I hate feeding servers before feast because (1) we're usually
busy with last-minute preparations in the kitchen, (2) they're setting up
the hall (often in conjunction with taking down and evicting merchants) and
bodies are more useful doing something other than sitting on fannies and
stuffing faces, (3) servers are often busy talking with friends who have not
been available all day, or finishing up something, and are not available an
hour or so before service is to start, and (4) there are usually plenty of
leftovers, and they will eat those anyway.

So, the rule I have for servers, with the consent of the head server of
course, is that they show up about fifteen minutes before the hall opens, to
get assigned their jobs and tables and do a quick walk-through of any
necessary spiff stuff that the head server wants to promote.  There is a
table set up as out of the way of traffic as possible where servers can eat,
and we make sure there is either one of anything for that table (for
example, one tray of pre-feast munchies, one tarte, etc.) or that they
understand that things left on serving platters being brought back from the
tables are to come to them, and NOT get tossed in the trash unless they are
really grody.  They do get reminded not to stint on serving the diners in
order to increase their portions <s> as the bring-backs are increased by the
portions left in the cooking vessels, and the extra items made to ensure
that only pretty ones go out.

(What, you don't make an extra tarte for ever six to ensure that the
scorched/cracked ones don't go to diners?)

						---= Morgan

	           |\     THIS is the cutting edge of technology!
	           |/ margolh at nortelnetworks.com <mailto:margolh at nt.com>  *
Hablutzel at compuserve.com <mailto:Hablutzel at compuserve.com>
	                      Morgan Cain * Steppes, Ansteorra

	                     May God have mercy on my enemies
	                     For they shall certainly need it.

	      For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

                I intend to live forever -- so far, so good!