SC - big spice question

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 17:40:24 PDT 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/19/99 11:57:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> msbutterfield at mail.aacc.cc.md.us writes:
>
> << On the other hand, many folks I know swear that chocolate is the REAL
> secret
>  ingredient!! >>
>
> It may be a 'secrtet' ingrdient (moles are one of my favorite foods) I was
> not talking secret here but rather basic....chopped beef, chili peppers and
> cumin.  Anything else is extra to the basic chile recipe and those extras
> account for the huindreds of recipes that bear that name. :-)

According to Frank X. Tolbert, author of "A Bowl Of Red", for many years
the official Bible of Tex-Mex cuisine, oregano and garlic, in addition
to the ingredients you mention, are essential. Onions, tomatoes, beans,
Bell peppers, chocolate, tequila, masa harina, epazote, old shoes, beer
and small children are not.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy